Wednesday, April 9, 2008

South Korea [Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2008]

Snow on Chiak Mountain.
Dinner with my Legio prayer group and Father Ahn.
My friend Joohee and I took a day trip to Seoul to see the Van Gogh exhibit.
Train ride home to Wonju from Seoul.
My co-teacher, Ms. Lee, invited me to her hometown Jeonju.
I'm in Alaska. No, not really.
This is Tapsa temple. A Buddhist monk dedicated his life to piling rocks.
Ms. Lee, her parents and the status of the monk who piled up the rocks.
View from the top of Tapsa temple.
Old men in the park playing a Korean board game.
Anna and the King. King Sejeong that is--the man who created the written form of Korean.
Outside Jeonju Cathedral.
Inside Jeonju Cathedral.
I love sitting in the very front of a bus because you can see the road ahead.
I took a stroll one day to the part of town where my grandparents ran a motel as seen on the right.
Winter English Camp dinner party.
Male teachers. There is a lot of gender-segregation.
Look familiar? We are paying our respects to G-pa during Chinese New Year's aka Seollal.
My G-ma likes to color and study.
The apparatus in the middle keeps the room warm. It will be removed next month. No offense to Korea but I feel like I'm in the 60s.
This is my student, Anselmus, who went to seminary school. He is sporting the glasses they use to determine your eyesight.
Peace!
"Rupina, this is how you do bunny years, ok?"--Anna Teacher
Street friends.
It's Valentine's Day and Graduation Day. In Korea, the school year ends in February. It also marks the beginning of Winter Vacation...wonderful~!
Graduation Ceremony.
Students look the same but not up close. Do not be fooled.
Discipline office farewell party: lots and lots of sushi + sashimi.
Happy teachers after a couple of drinks.
Pyeongwon Middle School's vice-principal and me.
This is the second Chinese character of my name on a restaurant sign! It means "comfortable."

1 comment:

Brandon&Heather said...

Anna I'm loving your new photos! Where is Tapsa Temple? Near Jeonju? Where's Jeonju? ^^
Let's get together soon and chat it up. Have a great week!